Saturday, July 21, 2007

So what do you collect?

Doc Z again.....

For personal enjoyment (viz. too much time on my hands during the summer), I was building a model of a motorcycle over the past week. When I'm not working on the real thing, I work on models of them.

Model building is a hobby I have pursued since grade school. As is usually the case, I found several parts were missing... a couple of springs and tiny screws. So I had to hunt for substitutes. As I was rummaging through "stuff" in my house , I realized that not only have I had a variety of hobbies over the years but I also have collected things.

I think "collecting" things is something we do our whole lives. As young children, toy cars, dolls, comics, cards (i.e., baseball, magic, NASCAR, etc.), shells, and rocks fill our pockets, drawers and shelves. But at some point in time we switch to "serious" collecting.... we specialize. Items we collect have personal and monetary value, and we actually hunt for items for our collections. A Barbie or Matchbox car collection can be worth a lot of money. I have a friend that collected "penguins". He had plastic penguins, wooden penguins, penguin books, and even penguin pj's. His pride and joy was a small penguin carved out of ivory made by an Inuit. I know women who collect shoes and purses and men who collect ties. I have a friend that collects "old" musical instruments and learns to play them.

Here is a list of things that I collect and actually display or store.... (Note: To be included on the list, I actually purchased or added an item to the collection over the past three months.)

US Coins
US Stamps
Fetishes and amulets (Carved stone and bronze cast animals and figures)
Mask and face sculptures (Displayed on a wall in my living room)
Glass and ceramic craft art (Bowls, vases, mugs, etc.)
Dreidels (Silver, glass, and wood "tops")
Marbles
Kites
Pens
Harley Davidson Dealer Pins (Every HD dealer has a special pin for their store.)

My most prized item in all my collections is a ceramic jar made by and given to me by my high school art teacher.

So my big question for you to share with me is.... what do you collect? To qualify as a collection, you must have at least three items in your collection, you must have added an item in the last six months, and whenever you encounter an item that is collectible you think about acquiring it.

Finally... What is your most prized possession? It may be part of one of your collections OR not.

16 comments:

Mike said...

Judging by your standards, Doc Z, the only thing I can say I collect is either CDs or pictures. I enjoy having anytype of pictures that have my friends in them and I just leave them lay around my room in hopes of stumbling over a lost memeory sometime later. CDs are a lame collection... everyone has CDs.

Sammie said...

i would have to agree i don't really collect too many things haha.

but i can tell you this my most prized possession is most definitely my fender stratocaster guitar it is my pride and joy and i don't let anyone touch!

Doc Z said...

Mike,

CD's and pictures are great collections. What type of CD"s? Are you an eclectic music fan or do you like a specific type... blues? hard rock? country? ska? Do you collect a favorite performer or group?

Mike said...

Thanks for the encouragment, Doc Z. I would say my collection ranges from older classic rock like Neil Young and Bob Dylan (influenced by my father) to newer indie bands like Bright Eyes, Neutral Milk Hotel, and the Arcade Fire. I seem to stay around softer folk music and easy listening... stuff I can sleep to.

abby mariano said...

I guess the only thing I collect is pictures. I try to always have a camera handy whenever I'm with my friends or family. I love making collages on big corkboards that are the size of posters, and then I hang them up in my room (I have a wall dedicated to them).
My most prized possiessions (I couldn't select only one) are my teddy bear that my sister gave me before she went to NYC and my Buffet clarinets.

Kelly said...

i agree with both sammie and abby.. i dont really collect anything, but im completly addicated to pictures.. i have wayy to many :)

Kristen Griffin said...

I don't really collect too many things either. I have a ton of pictures from my photo classes at school and some pictures from home. I also collect state quarters, but that's about it.

Jen said...

I'm going to have to agree with Mike, since music is basically my life i have quite a collection of that. I also love to take pictures with all my friends, and document my life here in champion.

Corey said...

Yeah, I don't really collect a whole lot either.

I used to collect shot glasses a while ago for all of the places I traveled to. But I ran out of space so that sort of ended that...

I also like to collect CD's that have influenced me (ie. Pink Floyd, the Velvet Underground, the Doors, the Brian Jonestown Massacre, 13th Floor Elevators...)

My most prized possession is also my Fender Stratocaster. Vintage white, maple fretboard, just like Hendrix.

Alex said...

I know I'm a little late on this one.. but I was actually at the beach working on one of my collections!

The first thing I collect is sand dollar pieces. It's become an obsession, especially since I started doing it when I was 5 or 6. It started as a game with my grandma, and now I have boxes of them. I've made picture frames with them and other things because I started running out of places to put them.

The second thing I collect is old postcards from the 1950's and earlier. I find them at antique shops mostly, and my most recent addition was one my uncle found in Salt Lake City 2 months ago.

Doc Z said...

Alex,

I have a collection of KSU and Kent, Ohio post cards. Not only is it interesting to see old buildings and sites, but the messages themselves from the 20's and 30's are pretty humorous.

Alex said...

Doc Z,

I agree 100%. I have quite a few on this end that are pretty interesting. I think that's what makes them even more unique.

Laura Caione said...

When I was younger I was one of those people who went crazy for beanie babies and who actually thought that they might be worth something one day....how dumb!!

I collected about 30 beanie babies in my younger years, and have realized the waste of money they have become, but now I collect state quarters and pictures.

Alex said...

Laura,

You weren't the only one! My whole family (there's 7 of us) got in on the craze and we have boxes of them and a bin of the McDonalds ones.

Thankfully, they haven't gone to waste because my little sister Lily is only 4 and she plays with them on a regular basis.

Anonymous said...

my biggest collection is avon bottles. i have over 100. most of them are from the 50's. they are really sweet because they look like cars, people, horses, boats, ect.

i am a huge crafter/ garage sale junkie. so, i have a huge collection of things from craft stores and garage sales that i want to revamp or make purses out of.

along with abby, i am huge into photography, so i guess i could say i have a pretty nice collection of pictures as well. yearbok really got me addicted.

Jenny said...

I'm kinda with you girls on this one. I really don't think I collect anything major besides pictures. I have so many from every place I go. I usually get some sort of painting or picture from each place I visit and the walls in my house are covered in them.

Abby, I have a teddy bear that my sister gave to me when I was born that I could never part with. Its got to be one of my most prized possesions.