Thursday, July 12, 2007

Welcome to the ELC Blog

Doc Z here.

I'd like to welcome you to our Education Learning Community blog.... A place where you can interact with other members of our learning community.

I know that this might seem silly because once school starts, you can just go down the hall and talk directly to them OR if you're like most everyone else, you'll call them on your cell phone even if they're in the room next door.

But this blog is special.... you can "talk" to everyone at the same time and "listen" to everything everyone is "saying" to everyone else. You can ask questions and anyone can answer. Even better.... there will be members of the ELC from previous years who will become part of our group and you can get answers from students who have been through their freshman and sophomore years and are still participating in the ELC. They will be available to you as peer mentors in the fall.

Now something you need to know about me...... I am not your parent! I will be very frank and honest with you. Possibly brutally honest.

Although I am a faculty member in the College of Education, Health and Human Services and am as old as dirt, I have lived in a residence hall for eight(8) years with undergraduates (viz., I know about sleeping late, roommate difficulties, and desire for privacy... 'nuf said) , I am a chapter and faculty advisor to a fraternity for over 15 years and often work the door at parties til 2 o'clock in the morning (viz., I am aware of underage drinking and every drinking game played in Kent), and I know that more often than not you will only work as hard as you need to in order to get the grade you will be satisfied with (viz., not read anything that you will not be tested on or do anything beyond the minimal requirement). I have worked with new students almost my entire career (32 years at Kent) and as best as I can figure, I have had close to 6,500 students in my classes.

I know that at this point in time during your first year, all the talk about studying and how to succeed as a student, the majority of the "Welcome Week" programs, and even the typical "orientation" class is a waste of your time because of priorities. You may be tempted to blow off parts of many of the programs and available activities based on the fact that other students may have told you that they are worthless.

THE THING YOU HAVE TO REALIZE IS THAT EVERYTHING THAT IS AVAILABLE TO YOU HERE IS UP TO YOUR CHOICE. That can really put a strain on the time that you have available.

You choose your program, you choose when you take your courses within some limitations, you choose whether to do the minimum, and only you know whether you have played the prof or not. [ For those of you that are interested.... this is called "impression management" and it is employed to establish how others view you. Particularly useful for employees to get the most from their bosees or for students to get the best out of their instructors and faculty advisors. Check out Erving Goffman.]

WHAT ARE YOUR PRIORITIES? Here are a few, in the typical order of importance....

Finding your way around this place so you can feel comfortable and not look like a fool.
Finding a circle of friends to have a social life.
Finding a significant friend for support and need as a confidante.
Finding out about parties, bars, eateries, entertainment, favorite activities for stress release or diversion.
By your senior year 88% of you will have gotten part time employment to help difray the cost of school OR to have money to pay for things you want to do or have.

Please note that in the above list there is no mention of classes or education or even studying. With those priorities where would you fit in the time for taking classes and studying?

As time passes every one of you will make choices that will be to enhance your ability to succeed in a particular career. Since you are members of the Education Learning Community, my guess is that you intend to become teachers. So you will need to make choices each semester and each year that will help you get your first teaching position. BUT THIS IS YOUR FIRST SEMESTER OF YOUR FIRST YEAR AND GETTING THAT JOB IS FOUR YEARS AWAY!!!!!!!!

Let me share an observation with you..... when you have no destination, you never know when you get there.

And another.... every student, every faculty member you meet was once a freshman!

So what are your thoughts? What do you want to know? What did you think of the latest Harry Potter movie or Michael Moore's Sicko?
Who do you plan to call in case of melt down? How can we help each other?

8 comments:

Kristen Griffin said...

Hey Dr Z!

This was a cute idea! I'm pretty nervous about going to Kent. It's bitter sweet and coming up really fast!

Haha! I did not see Harry Potter or Michael Moore's Sicko yet. However, I did see Night at the Museum recently and that was pretty cute. I really want to see License to Wed!

As to the meltdowns, I'm not sure yet. Most of my friends are not attending Kent and the ones who are attending are either commuting or getting an apartment so we'll see what happens. One of my best friends is going to Toledo and I know I could always give her a ring. Hopefully there won't be too many meltdowns though.

Your advice has been very insightful and a relief to hear. I really appreciate it!

Corey said...

Hey everybody;

I can't wait to get to college. It's going to be great. Not a Harry Potter or Michael Moore fan, but my girlfriend dragged me to License to Wed and it was cute.

Probably won't melt down, hopefully... But college is like anything else, just what you make it.

See you guys.

Doc Z said...

License to Wed had me going there....I really felt for the guy. Just kind of struck me that there always seem to be hoops that people want you to jump through. Loved Night at the Museum... Stiller is one of my favorites.

Just saw new Harry Potter... real dark... a lot more acting.

Corey... you are right... thing are what you make them to be.

Doc Z

colleen said...

Hey Dr Z and everyone else. I'm looking forward to coming to Kent, I'm just nervous because my boyfriend doesn't want me to leave. I can't beleive that it is coming up so fast. Im pretty sure that I am going to go see the new HP movie tomorrow. I'll tell you how it goes. I'm looking forward to meeting all of you!

Kelly said...

Hey everyone!!

this is a really good idea.. kind of get to know everyone before we get there.. i like it.

i am a very shy person at first.. but then when i get to know people I do talk a lot.. im warning you all now.. :) I have a very big heart for others and I always put others before myself..

Going to kent is something I am very excitied about.. but at the same time kinda scared. I do have a cousin that attends there, and luckily i get to room with my best frined, which makes it nice to know that when i get there i wont feel so lost.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you before we get to go up to Kent..

i do have AOL and stuff so feel free to add me and send me a message, i would love to chat..

hope you all enjoy the rest of your summer.. see you all soon!

Katie said...

Hey Everyone,
I'm really looking forward to coming to kent and meeting all of you!

I haven't seen Harry Potter yet, but I think I'm going today.

I don't think i'll have any meltdowns, but if I do I have a couple friends that are going to kent, so I think I'll be alright.

I can't wait to meet all of you!

Melanie said...

This is such a great idea!
I can't wait to meet all of you!
August is riiight around the corner =D

abby mariano said...

Hello Hello everyone!!

I did see Harry Potter last week and I must say, it's the best one so far! I can't wait for the book to come out this weekend! Is anyone going to be a crazy person like me and stand in line at the book store for hours on end to receive a copy? I'm leaving for vacation on Saturday, so if I want that book for the 9 hour car ride to VA beach, I guess I have to stand in line from 10 pm until midnight (or even later!). What a bummer...

I know that when I have my meltdown (it shall be an inevitable event considering my work load), I will be crying to my boyfriend and my roomie who is also my best friend. But as always, nothing an ice cream cone and an hour-or-so long walk with a buddy can't cure! I've learned

Has anyone seen Transformers? That is what I call an AMAZING movie!

Can't wait to see everyone!